MBS Bonsai Links
Several online sites are available for excellent resources. We will attempt to pick the best and highlight them on this page.
- Bonsai Organizations
- Retail Links
- Link of the Week
Founded in 1967, the American Bonsai Society, Inc. (absbonsai.org) is the pioneering national bonsai organization for North America, including Mexico, the United States, and Canada. As a non-profit corporation, they promote knowledge of and interest in bonsai and to serve as a focal point for bonsai learning in North America. Our own MBS webmaster, Pam W. has served as webmaster for this organization from 1996 through 2002. She also served on the board and as secretary for ABS.
Bonsai Clubs International, (bonsai-bci.com) a non-profit educational organization, advances the ancient and living art of bonsai and related arts through the global sharing of knowledge. Jack D. has served on the board and as president of this organization. Mary T. has served as corresponding secretary.
The Golden State Bonsai Federation (gsbf-bonsai.prg) an educational organization which provides services and activities promoting the art of bonsai throughout California. Our club's Sensei Ted Matson has just complete his term as president of this organization.
Mid America Bonsai Alliance (mababonsai.org) is an organization made up of local bonsai clubs and societies from nine midwest U.S. states and Canadian provinces. Currently, those states/provinces are: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Ohio, Ontario, and Wisconsin. Our MBS has hosted two MABA conventions. Pam W, Sharon S, Ron F. and Kris Z. have all served on their board or directors. Kris is currently the treasurer.
National Bonsai Foundation (bonsai-nbf.org) nonprofit organization established to sustain the National Bonsai & Penjing Museum. This private/public collaboration between the Foundation and the Arboretum enables the Museum to promote the art of bonsai and penjing to visitors through masterpiece displays and educational programs while also fostering intercultural friendship and understanding. Our own Jack D has a tree on display at the museum.
The North American Bonsai Federation (http://www.northamericanbonsaifederation.com/) is an organization that represents the North American region in the World Bonsai Friendship Federation and as such is dedicated to the promotion of peace, friendship and goodwill in the world through cultural outreach and exchange possible with the practice of bonsai and related art forms.
Adams' Bonsai copper wire is THE CHOICE of bonsai professionals and knowledgeable hobbyists. Located in central Virginia
Ancient Arts Bonsai carries pre bonsai, pots, and supplies. Ron can be found during several club meetings with trees and supplies. (262) 490-8733 firstname.lastname@example.org
Brussel's Bonsai Largest importer and grower of fine bonsai. Wide variety of bonsai trees.
Cass Bonsai Gardens offers finished bonsai, workshop stock, large selection of pots and bonsai supplies. Located outside of St Louis
DaSu Bonsai Studios has grown to include pottery hand built in our pottery studio, imported items, a full supply of books and tools. Located in central Iowa.
Golden Arrow Bonsai collects, trains and sells bonsai specimen material from the mountains of the Western United States. Many of these trees are quite ancient and every one is a unique specimen trained by the fierce mountain winds, the deep winter snows and the life-giving spring rains. Located in South Dakota
Leo Schordje Raising Orchids, Bonsai and Bamboo. Located in Northern Illinois
Meehan Miniatures Specializing in bonsai and rare plant materials. They grow an assortment of plants, specializing in dwarf and miniature varieties, tropical and subtropical trees suitable for indoor conditions and temperate plants suitable for outdoor conditions.
Nature's Way Bonsai feels it's important to provide high grade field grown and collected specimens. The plants are well established and held to ensure health before selling. They also offer a superb selection of tropicals for the indoor enthusiast.
Nino's Landscape Company a long time supporter of the club offers bonsai tools, pots, fertilizers and nursery supplies during several of the club meetings. (414) 761-9298
Royal Bonsai Garden is a bonsai lovers dream come true offering bonsai from every corner of the globe.
Sara Rayner Pottery creates hand made contemporary and traditional design porcelain and stoneware bonsai containers.
Stone Lantern bonsai books, tools, pots, wire, watering systems and other supplies for bonsai.
The Art of Bonsai Project (artofbonsai.org) is an online journal and community for the examination and exploration of the bonsai art form.
Artistic Foundations of Bonsai Design is web book will be an effort to help bonsai enthusiasts understand how to use time-honored methods - artistic methods - for producing more successful and meaningful bonsai designs and displays.
Bonsai Book of Days check out what happended on this day in bonsai history. by Robert J. Baran of Phoenix Bonsai
Bonsai4Me has several basic to advanced articles and photo series.
Comprehensive History of Bonsai by Robert J. Baran of Phoenix Bonsai
Knowledge of Bonsai (knowledgeofBonsai.org) Hosts some of the most respected names in bonsai and is sure to become a hot spot of activity for those interested in the pursuit of knowledge and unfiltered content.
Quiet Crow Bonsai site teaches you to use your creativity, to create your bonsai dreams, how you can to grow your own club or organization.
Bonsai Collection at Como Park MN http://www.comozooconservatory.org/attractions/gardens/bonsai-gallery/#/info
Bonsai Collection at the Monastery of the Holy Spirit GA http://www.trappist.net/plan-your-visit/visitor-center/bonsai-collection
Bonsai Garden at Lake Merritt http://www.gsbf-bonsai.org/lake-merritt/NewHome.htm
Brooklyn Botanical Gardens-Steinhardt Conservatory C.V. Starr Bonsai Museum
Chicago Botanic Gardens Bonsai Courtyard http://www.chicagobotanic.org/walk/bonsai.php
Elandan Gardens http://elandangardens.8m.com/
Huntington Botanical Gardens http://www.gsbf-bonsai.org/huntington/
Japanese Friendship Garden’s Bonsai Collection San Diego http://www.niwa.org/bonsai-collection
Larz Anderson Bonsai Collection at the Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University-Boston, MA http://www.arboretum.harvard.edu/plants/bonsai/intro.html
Les Collections d'Arbres Miniatures au Jardin Botanique de Montréal http://www2.ville.montreal.qc.ca/jardin/vedettes/bonsai/bonsai.htm
Morikami Museum & Japanese Gardens-Delray Beach, FL http://www.morikami.org/
National Bonsai Collection http://www.nationalbonsaicollection.org/
North Carolina Bonsai Arboretum-Ashville, NC http://www.ncarboretum.org/exhibits/outdoors/gardens-collections/bonsai/
Pacific Rim Bonsai Collection-Federal Way, WA http://www.weyerhaeuser.com/Company/Bonsai
Phipps Conservatory-Pittsburg http://phipps.conservatory.org/visit-phipps/
Shangri La Botanical Gardens-Orange, TX http://www.shangrilagardens.org/
Link of the Week - Archives
- The Science of Music
- Why does singing seem to sound better in the shower? How do opera singers hold notes for so long? Those questions and many more are answered on this site.
- What Tree Is That?
- The intuitive and award-winning tree identification guide.
- Top Ten Archive
- Get David Letterman's top ten lists dating back to 1993.
- Cudahy Gardens Milwaukee Art Museum Expansion
- A massive expansion to the Milwaukee Art Museum – comprised of the Kiley-designed Cudahy Gardens and the Santiago Calatrava-designed Quadracci Pavilion – was completed in 2001
- Breathtaking HDR Photography
- The newest trend in photography is called HDR. It takes photos and through changing settings on your camera, gives you breathtaking outcomes.
- exobiotanica project
- Tokyo-based artist sends 50 year old bonzai tree into space for exobiotanica project
- The Best Technology for Fighting Climate Change?
- Trees: Between now and 2050, forests are one of our "most promising" geo-engineering tools.
- How Famous Companies Got Their Names?
- You see these big company names each and every day, but do you know what they actually mean?
- 11-Year Time-Lapse of One World Trade Center
- EarthCam has just released the official time-lapse video of the construction of the One World Trade Center. The 2-minute video spans 11 years
- Encyclopedia of Philosophy
- Ancient to Modern Philosophy. This wonderfully organized and engaging site is difficult to leave.
- Brain Training 101
- This site has many tools and games to help you train your brain.
- 12 Most Inspiriting Bonsai Leadership Lessons
- Leading people entails both vision and cultivation. Here then, are 12 most inspiriting bonsai leadership lessons.
- The Farmer's Almanac
- From sage advice to timely predictions, the Almanac has been a proven resource for two centuries
- Earth Cam
- This site contains a directory of dozens of live webcam feeds from around the world. Includes topics such as 'Space and Science' and 'Scenic Cams'. From the Big Island to Time Square view cams from all over the world.
- Golden Arrow Bonsai
- Some of the most desirable trees to use for creating a bonsai are specimens collected from nature that may already be quite old and show the distinctive character and charm that comes with a long and relentless struggle to survive. Golden Arrow Bonsai specializes in transplanting wild trees for bonsai training from the rugged mountains of the American west. Transplanting trees for bonsai, with a valid permit, is legal on select locations throughout the west.
- Eerily Beautiful Abandoned Places
- From a ship graveyard in Mauritania to a picturesque 16th century Italian village, we can't help but be mesmerized by these mysterious and beautiful abandoned places around the world
- Ancient Trees:
- Woman Spends 14 Years Photographing World’s Oldest Trees
- How To Clean Stuff
- From laptop keyboards to patio furniture this site will help you out with proper cleaning methods.
- The Weather Calculator
- Find dozens of calculators pertaining to weather on this site from the NOAA.
- Google Year in Search
- What did we search for in 2014 and what does it say about us.
- This is your brain on crafting
- Cognitive activities such as doing bonsai, reading and crafting may protect brain from aging.
- Global Forest Watch
- is a dynamic online forest monitoring and alert system that empowers people everywhere to better manage forests.
- 20 Magical Tree Tunnels
- Nature in as a whole tends to be a profoundly beautiful thing, but there are few things more magical than finding yourself under a canopy of trees.
- Global Wind Map
- This amazing map shows you how the wind is blowing all over the world.
- 3,200 Year Old Tree
- This tree is so massive it's never been captured in a single image. Until now.
Consider joining your best choice for bonsai fun, education, and community service, Join MBS, and let the fun begin.